Brexit: 3 reasons why you should apply now for settled status
‘Will we stay, or will we go?’ and ‘If we go, when?’ These are the big questions on everyone’s lips right now. Even though Brexit is shrouded in uncertainty, at Rapid Personnel we are encouraging our EU candidates to prepare right away for the UK leaving the EU.
If you are an EU citizen working in the UK and you qualify, you do have until 30 June 2021 to apply for settled status. However, here are three reasons why you should apply now:
- If – or indeed when – the UK leaves the EU, your right to live and work in the UK, your access to the NHS and your pension and your freedom of travel will not be interrupted.
- Your personal circumstances may change which may mean you have to leave the UK for a prolonged period. Once you have settled status you can leave the UK for up to 3 years without any interruption to your status.
- It helps us place you in work as we can reassure employers that you will have an uninterrupted right to work in the UK, regardless of what happens with Brexit.
So, what is the application process?
- Check your eligibility: Are you an EU citizen or a family member of an EU citizen? Have you been living in the UK continuously for 5 years or more? If so, you can apply for settled status. If you have been living in the UK for less than 5 years you can apply for pre-settled status. You can double check your eligibility using the government’s Get Ready For Brexit checker.
- Apply: We highly recommend you download and use this app to quickly and securely confirm your identity as part of your application. Doing so means you won’t need to send the Home Office your identity documents when you apply. What’s more, if friends and family members do not have an Android smart phone, you can use the app to confirm not just your identity but theirs too.
We can help
If you would like any support in applying for settled status, call us or drop into the office. We will be happy to help.
Categories: Rapid Insights